Lesson 1 (Finally)

I need to reiterate the comment I made in my introduction.    The opinions about this art medium are only opinions.  I have ways of doing things I like.    They work for me.   So if you are another paper mache artist out there, don't be offended by my exhortations.   You may hold alternate opinions.   And they would be right also.   Just thought I'd mention that.

On another note.   I'm supposed to limit the videos I can upload to 5 minutes.   So I had to break this lesson up into two parts.   I'm working on lesson 2.    Check in every so often.  Thanks for your patience!  If you haven't seen the introduction yet, look below.

Lesson 1 (Part A):Bodies

Lesson 1 (Part b)

del.icio.us  Stumbleupon  Technorati  Digg

What did you think of this article?

Trackbacks
  • No trackbacks exist for this entry.
Comments

• 9/14/2009 6:45 PM Jonty wrote:
    An awesome start to what promises to be an emensely entertaining & brilliant tuotrial from one of the worlds most top monster makers. 10 out of 10 in my book any day.
    1. 9/14/2009 8:28 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hi again Jonty,
      I wish I had your tech expertise.   Most times when I get a comment on this blog, I get an email telling me so and allowing me to reply.  However the last couple comments I wasn't able to reply to.    When I hit "reply" it took me to the home page of my blog.   Of course just when I was going to contact the "help" line, I tried once more and it worked.  Strange indeed.  Anyway, thanks again for your last comment.

Now I must tell you that as experts like yourself are invited to ignore most of my suggestions and warnings etc, in the video.   Again, these videos are meant pretty much for beginners.  Just thought I'd remind you.
      Take care
      Dan

• 9/14/2009 8:18 PM Dan Reeder wrote:
    Jonty, you are always the best at making me feel good. Thank you for being so positive. It's much appreciated from such a talented artist.
    Hope your work is going well.
    Dan
  • 9/15/2009 2:03 AM Jonty wrote:
    I sometimes hit problems here when posting. It often tells me i haven't input the right security check code - Pah i do. Anyway i simply hit refresh then YES to any message boxes that pop up, then Bob's your Aunties sisters cousins brothers son lol. It works my post goes through. It remains in the message box at the bottom awaiting a new code but i just delete that.
  • 9/15/2009 2:09 AM Jonty wrote:
    Not trying to sound big headed, but don't worry i know your advice/tutorials are for the newbies lol. Saying that i sometimes see something you do & think aha, if i just moved that this way or if i made it more that shape lol.

Also as to my work going well & YOU wishing you were more tech minded check out my latest YouTube offering:

MY MAGGOT PUPPET PROTOYPE TEST

watch?v=-dHDSUBRkiE

Hang around after the end credits/blurb, theres a message just for YOU lol.
  • 9/16/2009 2:19 PM marasubo wrote:
    Hi Dan,

I'm having a bit of trouble with the painting part and would like to show you images of what i've done thus far. Sent you a few images of the hippo all orange and didn't hear back. maybe i sent them to the wrong address. Then i added blue and really feel I need some technique tips before I totally wreck it.

May I send you some images of the blue paint outlines? What email address can I send images to?

Thanks in advance for you time and consideration.

Bye for now.

Mara

Mara
    1. 9/16/2009 2:22 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hi Mara,
      I'm sorry  but I never saw any photos from you.   I think you must have sent them to the wrong address.   Try
      [email protected]  .   I would always respond with an inquiry.   And sure, send your new photos please.
      Dan

• 9/18/2009 10:42 PM Willow wrote:
    Hi Dan, Thank you for putting my bear on your site. He looks great there. By the way, the name of the bear is "Barbie's Bear" believe it or not.
    Willow
    1. 9/19/2009 12:44 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hey Willow.
      Yes, that's a funny name.  I changed it.  Now get back to work.
      Dan

• 9/19/2009 5:50 PM Willow wrote:
    I am sooo working harder than you.
    1. 9/19/2009 7:26 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Okay Willow.  That does it.     I can see you in my mind's eye with sweat on your brow, feverishly working.    I have been in a terrible art funk lately.     I can't start.    But you have thrown down the gauntlet.     I am going to work, well, as soon as I finish sitting on my ass in front of this computer.

I am, of course, happy for you.   And jealous.
      Dan

• 9/20/2009 3:03 AM Jonty wrote:
    Lol if what i have sent you to cut open, exmine how it works, repair then finish monster-man-ing up doesn't get the juices flowing again nothing will lol.
    1. 9/20/2009 8:29 AM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      You have totally piqued my curiosity Jonty.

2. 9/20/2009 4:50 PM Jonty wrote:
      Just don't be afraid to cut it open where i indicated on the back of the head. Follow the instructions there & you won't damage the mechanism inside lol.
  • 9/20/2009 11:44 AM Willow wrote:
    Dan,
    Did you try eating a bug? Nothing works better. Eat a bug and you are making art like a wild man. The bigger the bug the better. Really. Trust me.
  • 9/21/2009 9:24 AM debra wrote:
    Hi Dan, I just had to tell you that this is the most awesome thing I have ever seen! I have been on websites all morning looking for a project for my son. I have a 4th grader that has to invent a new creature, out of ordinary things around the house, and trash, basically, anyway, I came across your site and I am just flipping out! I rewinded the Dragon video over and over in amazement and trying too get a few pointers. When my son gets home I am going to show him the site, he will flip out! anyway, thanks!
    1. 9/21/2009 9:57 AM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hello Debra,
      Nice to meet you.   What a nice compliment!  Thank  you!   Yes, this is a great medium for kids and adults.     As you can see, I'm trying to post slower, instructional videos on the blog.  But I've gotten bogged down.  Hopefully, I'll have the next installment soon.   Check back every so often.
      Good luck on your project!
      Dan

• 9/27/2009 9:36 AM Luella wrote:
    Dan,
    So great to see all of this in slow motion. Although I do have your books there's nothing like seeing it done. Will you also be doing a fish?
    Love Your Fish!!

Thanks for all your hard work! You and Jonty are the best! You are both great teachers.

Luella
    1. 9/27/2009 5:31 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hey Luella,
      Nice to hear from you again.  I hope all is well with you.   Thanks for your nice comment about my slow videos.  Talk about slow, I'm having trouble getting them done quickly.  Hopefully I'll have the next installment soon.   And maybe I'll throw some stuff in about fish.

Thanks!
      Dan

2. 9/30/2009 3:25 AM Jonty wrote:
      Why thankyou hun, though i think Dan has the upper hand on experience in teaching lol.
  • 10/14/2009 6:04 PM Jonty wrote:
    ONE OF MY DRAGONS BIT ME TODAY

This is a little off topic but i thoought i may as well mention it lol.

Well that's me out of the PM'ing fun for a few day's. Because i start so many new projects before finishing others i have more than enough unfinished projects to keep me going for well lets just say quite some time. Thanks to so many i simply don't have the room to start anything more bigger than hand sized. Because i have so many projects to finish the only way i can finish them without getting bored i decided a while back the only way i could catch up with this massive task is to cycle through each unfinished projects a few at a time for a week or two then move on to the next batch. Today i am back on with my full dragons & i got a fair bit done too. I had just modyfied a dragon head that i want to plaster mold & copy for a series of similar styled dragons, about 6 or so of that same type. Whilst it's to one side drying ready to be copied in plaster i decided that i'd finish of some of the foil copied bodies i started some time ago.

That's when i saw red, litteraly. I had just cut open a foil copied body & instead of easing open the cut, pulling out my fingers then pulling it open further along. I went & ran my fingers along inside the cut foil & paper layers. Mercifully there are few to no nerves in the sides of the finger tips (I know this as i hate cut fingers so i jab my fingers on the sides to do my blood monitoring for my insulin). So before i felt anything a nice oval area around an inch & a half suddenly went red on the edges of the dragons body were my fingers were.

When i pulled my fingers out i discovered i'd just sliced my first finger on my left hand half way around about a centimeter from the end of the finger. A deep slice too. Sometimes i wonder if reduced feeling in my left arm & lack of nerves in the edges of the fingers IS such a blessing. It took a few minutes for the bleeding to stop so i knew i'd clipped a vein. One small mercy is the reduced feeling in that hand & the fact the cut is neat edged once the bleeding stopped i figured it should be closed up enough to use the finger safely without pulling the cut open too easily in a few days. The worst part is i was really enjoying working on my unfinished dragons again it's been a while. Oh well i suppose i should see this as a good time for a short rest until my finger knits a little. Either that or my dragon was having a go at me for leaving it so long & attacked me out of spite. Hmm i think i might call that one spite lol.

So for me it's down glue brush until the weekend at least possibly next week. My big question is now: When is this going to start hurting, it's quite a wide & deep slice so it WILL hurt eventually. I hate cuts on fingers agggggh!.
    1. 10/14/2009 8:08 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hey Jonty,
      Well you have had quite a day I see!  I have done that kind of thing many times.    I don't have the same issue with the nerve damage, ...they all hurt.     I suppose it's an issue artists like us have to face, that there is actually danger involved when you use sharp objects.  I can't tell you how many times I've run a clothes hanger cut too much at an angle into my hand or arm.   Now for the record, I don't give any instructions in my book or videos that have anyone cutting the hangers to points or using sharp knives at all.   I recommend dull but serrated steak knives to cut mache.

I hope you get better quickly.  I am glad to hear that you are having fun revisiting unfinished projects.  Good luck with those.
      And careful with the tools!  Nothing worse than seeing your red paint and realizing it's not paint.
      Dan

• 10/15/2009 4:15 AM Jonty wrote:
    Lol no not a cutting tool the foil papered edge of the copied dragon body i just cut open to remove from the master body lol. I have always preferred sharp tools myself. Yes they can do a lot more damage but the cuts i find do tend to be razor edged clean & seem to knit quicker & heal a lot faster. I have to wonder though 'why' always the most stupid & awkward places lol.

It is still not hurting but i am sure it will once i start using my hand whilout the plaster (band aid). I am sure to go catching it & pulling it open all the time thats when the pain will come lol...