Lesson 2, Papier Mache

Breaking News:
If you are into halloween and/or just great ghoulish art, you MUST check out
PumpkinRot.com
  You will be blown away.  (check it out.   Then come back of course.)

Hey everyone.    I finally finished my second lesson.    If you are new to this blog and looking at these instructional videos for the first time, I suggest you watch the Introduction first and then Lesson 1.    It just makes sense.

Also, if you haven't been to my main website yet, I suggest that you check that out.    This blog is really an adjunct to that site.     Go to www.PaperMacheMonsters.com.   Then come back and talk to me.    Or ask questions.

By the way, I'm going to take a small break before making Lesson 3 to make one of my other, fast and furious videos.  I've got a great idea and can't wait to get it out of my head.    Just check back every so often.

Lesson 2,  Part b

del.icio.us  Stumbleupon  Technorati  Digg

What did you think of this article?

Trackbacks
  • No trackbacks exist for this entry.
Comments

• 10/7/2009 4:08 PM Paulette wrote:
    Thanks for taking the time to make these vids! Lovin' 'em! Your work is pretty darn swell, too! Rock on! (Oh yeah...gonna buy that book, too) :0)
    1. 10/8/2009 6:57 AM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hello Paulette,
      Thank you for your kind words.  I really appreciate it.    Makes me want to make more.
      Take care.
      Dan

• 10/7/2009 5:49 PM Katherine wrote:
    Brilliant 2nd lesson! Can't wait for the third, forth, fifth, sixth and however many more is needed. I have the new book and the video lessons make the book come alive especially seeing the 'creatures' from the book in the background. Hey- I have a thought- why isn't the background creature audience reading all your books while you are teaching? I know they are being good and paying attention but they could read and listen at the same time.
    1. 10/8/2009 7:00 AM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hey Katherine,
      Thank you!  I'm always really nervous when I post these.   I loose all objectivity.  I have no idea by the time they are done whether or not they "work".  So I really appreciate this first response.     I think I'd have to alter the beasts in the background to get them to read.  But thank you for the suggestion.
      Take care,
      Dan

• 10/8/2009 3:45 AM Jonty wrote:
    Hi Dan 'excellent' your timing has improved a lot & it works much better now. That humour of yours makes what could be slow going for newbies absorb things much better i am sure. It makes me laugh too lol.

WOW thanks for the mention my friend & saying the name right too. Many people emphasis the 'y' as 'ee' but you got it just right lol.

Awesome stuff keep it coming & hi to Eddie too lol Great singing voice lol.
    1. 10/8/2009 7:18 AM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hey Jonty,
      You are always a great source of support.  Thank you.    Of course this can't hold a candle to your blog.  Amazing.
      Talk to you later.
      Dan

• 10/9/2009 4:09 AM Jonty wrote:
    Everyones blog & forum is as different as well as... 'everyone' is lol. It's just a case of what this blog does not have mine does. In the same turn of phrase what my blog does not have yours does. Our blogs & forums reflect US as individuals that does not mean our blogs & forums are better or worse than each other Dan, we just present them differently is all lol. If this forum wasn't any good do you think i would bother coming back here 'every day' & checking whats new or not?

No this IS a dam good little forum that is bursting with loads of potential. Because we are all busy (especially yourself) we all haven't had a chance to take it were it IS going is all. You give it a few more weeks before judging it lol. I am enough of a doubting Thomas for both of us lol.
  • 10/14/2009 4:07 AM Lucie wrote:
    Hi Dan,
    I just want to let you know that I began 2 news screamers, It's easier for the cloth m√Ęche session now I already know how that work. I will show you when my newborn sreamers will be done.
    Thanks for all.
    Your slowers video are very helping et very funny. It's what what helps most, the funny part.
    Lucie
    1. 10/14/2009 6:19 AM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hi Lucie,
      Nice to hear from you!  I'm glad to hear that you are working on new projects.  And yes, you are an expert now.   Anything is possible.
      Good luck on them.    I look forward to seeing them.   And thanks for your new nice comment on the lessons.
      It's cold and rainy in Seattle today.  I wish I could stay home and work on an art project or two.
      See you.
      Dan

1. 10/14/2009 4:14 PM Lucie wrote:
        Hi again,

Just to let you know that in sunny in Quebec city but very cold, around 5 degrees celsuis. Soon it will snow everywhere here.

Have a nice evening...
        Lucie
        1. 10/14/2009 8:14 PM Dan Reeder wrote:
          That sounds lovely actually. That's the way Fall should be.
          See you.
          Dan
  • 10/16/2009 10:18 AM konstantin wrote:
    Hi Dan! I'm wrighting from Russia. Saint-petersburg city. My english is bad but i hope U will understand. A few weeks ago i saw your videos and i was shocked. It is a trully art. I have never liked paper mashe art. But everything has changed. Thanks for your work. I wish u a lot of time for monster-making. It would be nice if your books will be translated into russian - i could't read them correctly). But the main idea is clear for me. Thank u again. Your creatures are beautiful
    1. 10/16/2009 10:41 AM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hello Konstantin,
      Thank you so much for your nice comment.  I'm glad you like the work.  Hopefully, the videos are clear enough without the words.
      Take care.
      Dan
      PS.  Your English is quite good.

• 10/16/2009 12:28 PM konstantin wrote:
    Dan, i want ask a few questions if u don't mind:
    1)u don't use any glue. only water+flower. that's correct?
    2When the monster is "ready" - U put The last layer of White paper(that's not newspaper) What the paper is it?
    3) Do u sale your art( i mean paper beasts)? Do you have your MONSTERSHOP)?
    1. 10/16/2009 1:07 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hi again Konstantin,
      I use flour and water to paper mache balls and arms and legs.   Then I cut them up and put them together using masking tape.  Then I put a "skin" of cloth (torn up bed sheets) and white glue (the brand is Elmer's here).

I sell my pieces every so often.  But they are expensive because they take so much time to make.   But I cant' keep everything  so I sell at fairs.

Good luck.
      Dan

• 10/17/2009 2:19 AM konstantin wrote:
    thank u Dan.. i'll send u photoes when i made something intresting.
  • 10/17/2009 3:36 PM Kent wrote:
    The blog is great,the site is perfect,and the videos are fricken awesome man.I am 53 and started drawing as a kid,then paint,then wood,then clay,then metal,and now glass...You have inspired me to vear off course and grab some newspaper ...thank you Dan...I will be buying both your books Monday off your website and wanted to just thank you for sharing everything.
    1. 10/17/2009 8:02 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hey Kent,
      Nice to meet you.  Thank you for the kind words.   I'm really happy to hear that you will be trying this medium.   It really is gratifying.  You will love it.  Let me know if you ever have any questions.  I'm happy to help.   And so will others.  Check out my links.   Many great paper mache artists there.
      Take care
      DAn

• 10/18/2009 9:38 PM marie wrote:
    Hey Dan, just checked out your new instructional videos like you suggested. Loved them, cant wait to see more. Keep up the great work. Best thing about paper mache' is...its the one craft out there that everyone can afford...and I love how you show that ugly IS beautiful too. Amazing. Thanks
    1. 10/19/2009 6:34 AM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
      Hey Marie,
      Thanks for checking in.    Yes, there is enough beautiful art in the world.  Truckloads, museums, full of the stuff.   I think we have a duty to add something a little uglier to the mix.  And paper mache is perfect I think.   I'll continue to do my part.
      Good luck on your projects.    Keep in touch.
      Dan
      PS.  I really need to make one of my fast videos before another slow one.  I have an idea I want to pursue.  I have to get it out of my head before anything else.

1. 10/19/2009 6:23 PM Jonty wrote:
        Oh i know that feeling. Trouble is i NOW have more unfinished projects than i know what to do with lol. I am trying desperately to get them all finished by cycling through them every week or so though lol. It's slow going but i am making some kind of progress. I know i speak for a LOT of people when i say "We can't wait to see the NEW idea's" lol.
        1. 10/19/2009 7:17 PM Dan the Monster-man wrote:
          Hey Jonty,
          It's funny because most people have trouble with the idea part.  You have ideas pouring out of, well, your pores.   It is good that you are getting back to a few of them.  I really want to see some of them finished.   They are all going to be great.

The short days and rain have settled over the Pacific Northwest.   Time to snuggle up with hot chocolate and paper mache.
          See you
          Dan

1. 10/20/2009 3:21 AM Jonty wrote:
            Oh i have noooo trouble what so ever with the idea part for sure. As i am typing now i have ideas pouring into my head. If anything ever happened to my hands & i had no way of bringing them or starting to bring them to life i think i would go insane lol. No idea's come easily as breathing to me.

Trust me 'I' want to see my unfinished stuff done too. These stupid new idea's won't let me though lol. One i might get them all done, one day lol.